SB91 COVID-19 Rent Relief Landlord Checklist
What is needed to apply for COVID-19 Rent Relief?
All of the following must be checked so that a landlord can be eligible to apply for COVID-19 Rent Relief.
- Must be the property owner or the property management agency with legal authority to rent the property.
- Must have one or more eligible tenants with unpaid rent between April 1st, 2020 and March 31st, 2021.
- Must have a written agreement with at least one eligible tenant.
- Landlord must agree to waive 20% of the unpaid rent due between April 1st, 2020 and March 31st, 2021.
If a landlord meets ALL of the above requirements, the landlord is eligible to apply for COVID-19 Rent Relief. To apply, you will need to have the following handy.
- IRS W-9 form
- Verify residence (at least ONE of the following)
- Lease agreement
- State issued program ID with license
- Official letter from third party showing name and address
- Government issued library card
- Utility statements from provider
- Owner verification (at least ONE of the following)
- Property deed
- Mortgage statement
- Property tax documents
- Homeowner insurance
- To verify rent owed (at least ONE of the following)
- A current and valid lease which has been signed by the tenant and landlord which identifies the rental unit where the eligible tenant lives AND establishes the rental payment amount.
- If you don’t have a signed lease, you can use
- bank statements
- copies of check stubs or other documents which establishes a pattern of rental payments
- Written declaration by the landlord who can be verified as the owner or management company of the rental unit.
Important to keep in mind: All paperwork is subject to be cross-referenced with other government agencies and third party databases. This is to verify the validity of the submitted items and information by the applicant.
How do I apply for COVID-19 Rent Relief?
You can apply by visiting https://housing.ca.gov/, and click on “CA COVID-19 Rent Relief”
If you have any questions regarding the application process, help with gathering these documents, 15 day notices or any other matter regarding SB91 COVID-19 Rent Relief, please contact our office – 1-800-686-8686 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Filed under: News and Updates